Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Another Day, Another Dollar...

Another writer's block.

If they were real, physical blocks, I could build myself a house.  I finished my short story and got stuck on how to expand it and then got five hundred new ideas.

I really like one idea, but admittedly it's inspired by one of my classmate's writing and I don't want to rip off his ideas.  But I've been dying to do something Egyptian (his was Norse) and I just don't know.  Then I have another idea, but I'm lacking a plot.  And then my short story I'm stuck on how to expand it.  And my fantasy idea just doesn't have the follow through of a deep story.

Maybe that's the foundation of writer's block.

So in that case, let's say that writer's block is caused by a lack of information for the writer to follow.  Let's also say that even the best writer's get this, because I've heard tales, yet no one has ever given me a cure.  But if my theory holds true, that it's the lack of information that causes the block to appear.

So we'll use my fantasy idea as an example.

Main plot: man searches for cure for his curse.

Pretty straightforward curse, pretty cliche plotline.  He meets, somehow, two companions, maybe a third just to balance out genders... maybe.  But anywho, as it stands, two companions.  And it's set in a fantasy world.  So where does he come from? A tropical area? An island? A desert? A large city? A forest?

Maybe not the best idea; that needs a world.

So perhaps my other idea, because I'm feeling lazy on planning.  Man I miss the days when it was just all there in my head...

So scene change to Egyptian mythology. (Though a second theory is nestling its way in my head where writer's block is caused by a writer's laziness to gather needed information -- but I don't know if that would apply to the big namers).

Modern day sort of.  In a fantasy word.  Desert, befitting Egypt.  Probably just do these for drabbles to get myself into the writing mode.  But I don't want these to be detective stories; because it seems everyone takes mythologies, especially Norse, and makes them into modern detective stories.  So how do you take something as crazy as sibling marriages and inter-family murders and make them not detective? And not the definition of dysfunction?

Maybe I'm just not as into these as I thought.  Maybe I need to return to the story idea that got this whole ball rolling again...

Guess my little theory got nowhere, would help if I didn't get distracted with book buying.  Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment